With garlic, tomatoes and strands of spaghetti squash to twirl around your fork, this dish will surely satisfy your craving for Italian food. If you’ve never cooked a spaghetti squash, there’s nothing to fear. Once you cut lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, it goes in the oven for 40-50 minutes until fully cooked. For this recipe, you’ll leave it slightly underdone; then add the shrimp and spices and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Serving Size: ¼ squash
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges (optional)
- Place squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet. (Tip: line with foil for easy cleanup.)
- Bake in a 400°F oven for about 35 – 40 minutes.
- Drain diced tomatoes and mix in a separate bowl with shrimp and spices.
- Remove squash from oven. Flip cut side up.
- Fill each half with shrimp, tomato, and spice mix.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until tender.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash and shrimp from the shells into a medium bowl. Garnish with lemon wedge.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: ¼ squash
- Vegetables: 1½ cups
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 193 calories
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 16 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Sodium: 676 mg