This is one of the best salads to make when the corn is really fresh. The easiest way to cook the corn is in the microwave. Cut off one end, microwave for 4 minutes, remove with hot pad – shake the corn out of the husk. (Tip: All of the silks should remain in the husk while cooking and you have perfectly cooked corn.) Even though the basil will get a little dark, this salad gets better the next day.
Serving Size: 1½ cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Cool Time: 15-30 minutes
Total Time: 40-55 minutes
- 1 pound (approximately 3 cups) green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 ears corn, cooked and cut off the cob
- 4 ounces (approximately ⅓ cup) ricotta salata or feta, shredded finely or crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- Salt to taste
- Cook the green beans in salted water until just done – do not overcook. Chill well (approximately 15-30 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, corn, and green beans.
- Add cheese to the vegetable mixture.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining the vinegar and mustard then add the oil in a thin stream while beating.
- Add the dressing to the vegetable mixture.
- Top with the basil.
- Salt to taste.
Nutrition Information per Serving: (Based on ½ teaspoon salt)
- Serving Size: 1½ cups
- Vegetables: 1¼ cups
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 169 calories
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Sodium: 41 mg