Scallops are delicious, but can be quite expensive. Consider this a special-occasion salad if you stick with the scallops. For an everyday salad, consider replacing the scallops with shrimp or fish.
Serving Size: 4 cooked scallops, 2 cups of salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup roasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sea scallops, cut in half crosswise (can be replaced with shrimp or fish)
- 8 cups (approximately 6 ounces) baby spinach
- Grate the zest from one orange into a small bowl.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the ends off both oranges to make flat edges and peel off the rest of the skin.
- Squeeze juice from the ends of the oranges into a bowl. Measure and set aside 2 tablespoons of orange juice.
- Cut the rest of both oranges into individual segments. Set the orange segments aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until softened (approximately 1 minute). Remove from heat.
- Stir vinegar and reserved orange juice into the shallots. Scrape mixture into bowl with orange zest. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Wipe the skillet used for the shallots clean with paper towel.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring often, until toasted (approximately 2 minutes). Pour onto plate and set aside.
- Add a small amount of olive oil just to coat the pan (approximately 1 tablespoon) and heat over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook, turning halfway, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Scallops should be seared on both sides.
- Combine the spinach and reserved orange segments in a large bowl.
- Add the scallops, vinaigrette, and toasted pine nuts and toss. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: 4 scallops, 2 cups salad
- Vegetables: 2 cups
- Fruits: ¼ cup
- Calories: 254 calories
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
- Fat: 14 grams
- Sodium: 619 mg