This recipe uses canned beans, which can be high in sodium. Be sure to rinse well to remove over ⅓ of the sodium indicated on the label. If you want to add some spice, serve this with hot sauce on the side.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or chili powder (or combination)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plain yogurt or low-fat sour cream for topping
- Sauté the onion in olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- After 2 minutes, add the cumin or chili powder.
- Add one can of beans and broth or water. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use a hand blender to puree ingredients or transfer to a blender and puree.
- Add the second can of beans to the pot and cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until bubbly.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with yogurt or low-fat sour cream.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
(Based on using chicken broth, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetables: ¾ cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 160 calories
- Carbohydrates: 27 grams
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 11 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Sodium: 467 mg