This is an example of a recipe that can be made literally hundreds of ways. Add one or two vegetables, one or two fruits, a grain, a bean, and dress with citrus vinaigrette. This recipe uses avocado and orange. You could use cucumber, tomato, onion, or shredded squash – really any vegetable. For the fruit component, any citrus, mango, or pineapple works well. Choose any whole grain and any canned bean. This is a great way to use up leftover grains from other meals. This can be a side dish or served on top of a mixed green salad.
Serving Size: 1½ cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 1 orange, cut in small pieces
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons herb (parsley, mint, cilantro, basil) (optional)
- Juice from 1 lime or lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine avocado, brown rice, orange pieces, black beans, and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to coat.
- Add herbs into large bowl with other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Can be kept refrigerated for several days.
Nutrition Information per Serving:(Based on ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper)
- Serving Size: 1½ cups
- Vegetables: ¾ cup
- Fruits: ¼ cup
- Calories: 337 calories
- Carbohydrates: 48 grams
- Fiber: 12 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Sodium: 155 mg