This is an interesting main-dish salad that, thanks to canned beets, is really quick. It is a great use for leftover lentils, you could even use other beans. You can use any salad green, however, arugula, gives a nice spice to the salad. The cumin vinaigrette is great with other salads as well or just as a dressing for lentils.
- 1 cup red, green, or brown lentils
- 1 bag baby arugula
- 1 can whole beets, drained
- 2 ounces (approximately ⅓ cup) feta cheese, crumbled (can use blue cheese or goat cheese)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the vinaigrette by heating the oil in a medium skillet and sautéing the shallots.
- Add the cumin and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the vinaigrette into 2 bowls to cool.
- In a large pot, cook the lentils until tender in salted water. Usually this will take between 15-40 minutes, depending on how soft you like the lentils. You can use vegetable or chicken stock instead of water for more flavor.
- Drain the lentils and toss with ½ the vinaigrette.
- Toss the arugula in the other bowl with ½ the vinaigrette.
- Cut the beets in quarters and divide between 4 plates.
- Place ¼ of the arugula on each plate.
- Top with ¼ of the lentils.
- Divide the feta cheese between the plates.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetables: ¾ cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 192 calories
- Carbohydrates: 22 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Sodium: 79 mg