Any mix of rice will work in this recipe, however wild rice adds a nice bit of color.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup precooked brown and wild rice
- 1 (3½ ounce) package smoked salmon, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil and swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, celery, salt, and cayenne pepper and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in rice and salmon, and cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle evenly with green onions before serving.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetables: ½ cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 255 calories
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 11 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Sodium: 518 mg