This recipe makes fun small burgers (sliders) or you can make regular size patties. They are great on toasted whole grain buns with lettuce and tomato. You can also serve them with tomato sauce. The recipe calls for brown lentils but other varieties would be good as well.
Serving Size: 2 sliders
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Chill Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 2 cups raw brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces (approximately 2 cups) mushrooms, chopped
- 3 large eggs (or egg substitute)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cook the lentils in 8 cups of water over medium heat until tender (30-40 minutes).
- Cook onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and salt in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook a minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 15 minutes until mixture is dry.
- Put the mixture in a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Add eggs (or egg substitute), cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, walnuts, and cooked lentils to vegetable mixture.
- Cover and chill for at least 25 minutes.
- Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Scoop chilled lentil mixture into 1-2 inch balls, packing mixture firmly.
- Arrange them on the baking sheet about ¼ inch apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: 2 sliders
- Vegetables: 1½ cups
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 326 calories
- Carbohydrates: 44 grams
- Fiber: 14 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Sodium: 493 mg