I grew up eating squash and onions. It was a summer favorite of our family. I converted the bacon grease version my mom made to the Med Way by using olive oil. I use both zucchini and yellow squash but you can use just one variety if you like. This recipe calls for green onions, but white onions will work as well. You can make this ahead of time and heat up what you need in a sauté pan.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pound yellow squash, cut in medium dice
- 1 pound zucchini, cut in medium dice
- Salt and pepper to taste (go heavy on the pepper)
- Heat a large skillet or stir fry pan.
- Add the olive oil and heat slightly.
- Add the onions and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables softens.
- Add salt and pepper, start with ½ teaspoon of each.
- Cook until desired doneness.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information per Serving:(Based on ¾ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and ½ cup of chopped green onions.)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetable Servings: 1 cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 49 calories
- Carbohydrates: 4 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 4 grams
- Sodium: 220 mg