Here is a quick and delicious way to add a serving of vegetables to your day. Don’t try this without the sun-dried tomatoes, they are the secret to this soup.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (approximately 1 medium onion)
- ¾ cup shredded carrot (approximately 2-3 carrots)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (approximately 3-4 garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 10 large basil leaves, divided
- 3 sun-dried tomato halves packed in oil with herbs (such as California Sun Dry brand), drained
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low-sodium or salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Put olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, and garlic to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar, pepper, salt, and 4 basil leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat.
- Puree the soup using a hand-held (wand) blender or traditional blender. If using a hand-held (wand) blender, emerge the wand in the soup while still in the saucepan and blend until smooth. If using a traditional blender, place half of the soup in the blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining soup.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls. Garnish each serving with 1 basil leaf.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetables: ¾ cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 76 calories
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 3 grams
- Sodium: 115 mg