Enjoy these sweet and savory chickpeas as a snack or use as a topping on a soup or salad (such as our Winter Citrus Salad). Sure to bring a burst of sweetness, this flavorful recipe was shared with us by Chef Ellen Clevenger-Firley.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup (122 grams)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45-65 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 1 (15 ounce) Can Chickpeas – rinsed, drained well and thoroughly dried
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp. Olive Oil, divided
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- ¼ tsp. Ground Ginger, or more to taste
- Preheat oven: Arrange baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Oven dry chickpeas: Spread the chickpeas out on a rimmed baking sheet. Place chickpeas in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until chickpeas are completely dry.
- Toss dried chickpeas with oil: Remove chickpeas from oven. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt. Use your hands or a large spoon to evenly coat the chickpeas. Spread the chickpeas out in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast chickpeas: Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan halfway through. Chickpeas are done roasting when they are golden brown and crunchy.
- While chickpeas are roasting: In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining teaspoon of oil with honey. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Toss chickpeas with honey: Remove chickpeas from oven and transfer to bowl of oil/honey mixture. Sprinkle with ginger. Stir well to coat completely. Return chickpeas to baking sheet and spread them out in an even layer. Roast again for 5-8 minutes, or until honey is caramelized. OPTIONAL: For truly crispy chickpeas, turn the oven off after roasting and allow the chickpeas to sit in the warm oven for an additional 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve: Sprinkle with more flakey salt and ground ginger. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup (122 grams)
- Vegetables: 0 cups
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 220 calories
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Sodium: 520 mg
- Added Sugar: 9 grams