Enjoy this classic dish from Naples, Italy that is simple and delicious with the perfect amount of spice for you!
Serving size: 1 cup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 – 25 minutes
Total time: 40 – 45 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (you can use less)
- 1 cup onion, fine dice
- 2, 14.5 ounce cans of no salt added tomatoes, whole or puree
- If using whole tomatoes, chop them fine
- 16 kalamata olives (canned or brined), rinsed well, chopped
- 4-5 Tablespoons capers, rinsed well
- 3-4 anchovies, finely chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a large pot, boil salted water for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the crushed red peppers and onions to the large skillet. Cook until translucent. Adjust the heat so the onions do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, and anchovies. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the black pepper and basil. Adjust seasoning – most likely will not need additional salt as the capers, olives, and anchovies can be salty.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta, reserving some of the pasta water.
- You can serve this one of two ways:
- Pasta with sauce on top or
- Combine all sauce and pasta with a little of the pasta water – reserve some of the sauce to top each serving.
- Top each serving with parsley.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrates: 65 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 13 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Sodium: 440 mg (draining and rinsing the olives, capers, and anchovies will reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe)