Napa cabbage is softer in flavor and texture than traditional green cabbage. It is wonderful cooked and raw. This dish is so easy, you will make it often.
Serves: 8 (8 cups total)
Serving size: 1 cup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 10 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, whole
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper (less if you don’t like as much spice)
- In a large colander, combine the cabbage, salt and sugar. Massage so the cabbage is well mixed. Let sit over a plate or in the sink for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the green onions in the rice vinegar, set aside.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture from the cabbage using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Place in a large bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large sauté pan. Add the peppercorns and crushed red pepper. Heat until the spices are brown, about 4 minutes. Do not allow to smoke.
- Carefully strain the hot oil onto the Napa cabbage.
- Add the vinegar and onion mixture and combine well.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 1 cup (58g)
- Calories: 57
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 0 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Sodium: 564 mg