This take on a traditional Sweet Potato Casserole offers a healthy way to enjoy this holiday classic any time of the year! Using fresh sweet potatoes is best, but draining and rinsing canned sweet potatoes would also work.
Serving size: 1/9 of pan
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Total time: 40-45 minutes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)*
- ½ cup (or 4oz) unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tablespoon canola oil
- Pierce clean sweet potatoes with a fork and place in a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 15-18 minutes, or until tender. Flip sweet potatoes halfway through.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove sweet potatoes from microwave and carefully cut lengthwise; this will help to cool them faster.
- Once the sweet potatoes are able to be held, hold each half and scoop the insides into a mixing bowl, discarding the skins.
- Use a potato masher, hand beaters, or a food processor to further mash sweet potatoes.
- To the sweet potatoes, add apple sauce, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together quick oats, pecans (optional), brown sugar, cinnamon, and canola oil.
- Sprinkle oat mixture evenly on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 9 pieces.
Canned sweet potatoes: Rinse and drain a 40-oz can of cut sweet potatoes (about 1 pound of sweet potatoes will remain after discarding the liquid.)
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 1/9 of pan
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Sodium: 25 mg