Cod is a flaky white fish that is available fresh or frozen in most grocery stores. The frozen cod works great for this dish. Just thaw in the refrigerator overnight. You could also substitute any white flaky fish instead of cod. This dish goes well with Cilantro and Cashew Sauce or Kale and Napa Cabbage.
Serves: 4 servings (8 cakes total)
Serving size: 2 cakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound skinless cod filets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small or ½ large onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the cod with a small amount of salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or foil.
- Bake cod for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow cod to cook and then transfer to a bowl. Do not transfer any of the cooking liquid.
- Flake the fish with a fork.
- As the fish cooks, cook the potato and onion until the potato is fork tender.
- Drain the potato and onion mixture well and mash using a fork until chunky but not smooth.
- Add the potato onion mixture to the cod.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
- Fold the egg mixture into the cod and potato mixture. Do not overmix.
- Form into 8 patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a non-stick pan and non-stick cooking spray. Cook the cakes until brown on both sides and cooked in the middle.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 2 cakes
- Calories: 169 calories per serving
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Fiber: 1 grams
- Protein: 23 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Sodium: 304 mg