This easy and delicious recipe utilizes unique cannellini beans! Have fun with this dish by using a variety of small pastas such as penne, fusilli, farfalle, or orecchiette.
Serving size: 3/4 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 15 minutes
Total time: 25 – 30 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2, 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained, and rinsed well
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1, 12-ounce box whole wheat pasta (fusilli, penne, farfalle, or orecchiette)
- 1 pound spinach
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, boil salted water for the pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to not over brown.
- Add the pepper flakes and cook in the skillet for another minute.
- Add the beans, broth, and salt in the skillet. Cook over medium heat to slightly thicken.
- Cook the pasta in the pot according to package directions.
- When the pasta is 1-2 minutes from being cooked, add the spinach to the water.
- Drain the pasta and spinach and return to the pot. Add the bean mixture and combine
- Serve in a pasta bowl topped with cheese. You can add olive oil as well if you like.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: 3/4 cups
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrates: 63 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 18 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Sodium: 400 mg